Coconut Curry Mussels
This recipe provides a delicious twist on the traditional west coast mussel dishes we've all come to love. For a creamier consistency feel free to swop the coconut milk for coconut cream to elevate this dish even further!
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (or coconut cream for creamier consistency)
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 kg black mussels, scrubbed, debearded
- Chopped fresh parsley
Preparing the Mussles
Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add shallots and curry powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add coconut milk, wine, lemon juice and bay leaves; simmer 10 minutes. Add mussels. Increase heat, cover and boil until mussels open, about 6 minutes.
Using tongs, place mussels in 4 bowls (discard any mussels that do not open). Boil sauce until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper; discard bay leaves. Spoon sauce over mussels. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Amount per serving
- % Daily Value*