Savor the unique tastes of the West Coast with our selection of delicious recipes straight from Riette Strydom’s Country Kitchen in Velddrif. The dishes are simple and easy to prepare, with readily available ingredients. So even if you are not in the West Coast, you can imagine yourself being there, while preparing and enjoying one of these traditional West Coast Treats.
A much loved dish amongst our family and friends. A very dear friend gave me this recipe and I’ve never used another recipe for smoking after this. You can keep it in the fridge for days on end. It serves well cold on a slice of toast for breakfast, as a snack with some savoury biscuits or for lunch with a fresh salad.
- Snoek, cleaned and salted
- 1 Lemon
- A few saffron twigs
- Yellow mustard seeds
- Place the lemon in the microwave and heat it for 1 minute on high (this doubles the amount of the lemon juice you can extract).
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into a glass jug.
- Add the saffron and let it steep overnight
- Wind-dry the snoek and place it on the grid in the smoker
- Pour the lemon juice mix over the snoek.
- Liberally sprinkle the mustard seeds over the fish.
- Light the smoker, smoke the fish for about 20 minutes, then check if the fish is cooked through
- Remove the smoker from the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes
- Remove the fish from the smoker